The Palace of Lies

What I ‘Wanted’ was a faithful adaptation

I went to Wanted tonight with my brother. The theater was pretty full for the 6:45pm showing. The movie’s been getting pretty good reviews. If I had never heard of the comic book by Mark Millar & JG Jones, then I would probably have liked this movie a lot more. I’d call it a good, bloody, wacky summer action flick and would easily recommend it. It’s a fun shoot-em-up movie, in and of itself.

But I am a fan of the comic, and as an adaptation of Millar’s story this movie is piss-poor. Where is Mr. Rictus? Where are all the zany supervillains? Where’s all of the comic booky stuff? And Angelina Jolie as Fox? I mean, I don’t have anything against Angelina Jolie, but I think the role could have been better cast. Or at least give Angelina some ears to wear. I will say that I like the slightly tweaked final beat they do in the movie better than the final beat of the comic. I think Millar sort of jumped the shark with that last panel and the movie keeps the same basic spirit and makes it a smidge more personable… but I think I’m splitting hairs.

I’m conflicted. As I said: In and of itself, Wanted is a fine summer popcorn action flick. Fans of the comic, however, will be highly disappointed. No Mr. Rictus? Seriously?

Buy the book here…

• Posted June 28, 2008 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Thanks for the review now I wouldn’t have to waste my money.

• Posted June 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

No problem, T-Rack. Like I said, it’s a tough one to judge. Guys like you & me who are familiar with the comic will be bummed out. But other folks who haven’t read the book might think it’s awesome.

And that’s not to say that you & me are smarter than everyone else :) Just that we’d be distracted by the differences whereas the non-comic fans wouldn’t even realize anything was different.

• Posted June 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I didn’t even know wanted was a comic. Speaking as a non-comic fan the movie looks like total shit. Fuck angelina Jolie and all her African babies.

Really though it looks like all her movies as of late. her being half naked shooting stuff and acting sexy what happened to the days of Gia when she had chops and wasn’t so pumped full of Brad Pitt Splooge. That it clouded her thought process and made her act in shitty films like tomb raider and gone in 60 secs. As well as that debacle Mr smith and angelina Jolie not getting naked anymore.

I want the crazy Billy bob blood necklace tongue kissing your look-a-like brother Angelina Jolie not the lets save all the kids on with the flies on there faces and big bloated no feed belly’s Jolie.

fucking Hollywood…….

p.s. the comic looks great I’ll have to look more into it.

• Arson Cuff
    Posted June 29, 2008 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

My full review:

People who read books before seeing movies should already realize by now that generally they are going to prefer the version they have already put into their mind and that to bitch that a movie is not like the source material ala book is pretty cliche. Ha ha.

• Posted June 30, 2008 at 8:39 am | Permalink

It’s not just a matter of “I liked the book better.” It’s a matter of “Why did they feel the need to completely change most of the things that made the book so awesome?”

Like you may genuinely say that you liked the book versions of anything from Harry Potter to No Country For Old Men better than the film versions… but at least those film versions are true to the source material.

That’s all I’m sayin’. Sure, I know “the book was better” is a cliche at this point. What I’m bitching about is that this movie was basically an entirely different property :P

• Rocky
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 9:12 am | Permalink

The comic is good, but overrated. If anything, it shocks for shocks-sake and the “Super Villain Fraternity secretly ruling the world” concept is shot to hell.

The allure of the book is the ultra-violence and astounding amount of vulgarity, which is obviously not in the movie. Also, the Wesley character was drawn to look like Eminem and Fox to be Halle Berry, so obviously the actors chosen for the roles are all wrong. Maybe if Jolie looked like she did in Hackers and not Skeletor, I’d be happier

If you liked the comic….just stay away. There’s this thing about a “Loom” that will make you want to leave the theater or just sit with your head in your hands like Al Bundy alone in the shoe store.

Fuck this movie.

• Posted June 30, 2008 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Good comments, Rocky. Yes, the comic is not some amazing milestone in comics history. It’s no “Watchmen” or anything.

But it’s stylish, and it’s got cool, weirdo characters… which the movie totally throws away, replacing everyone with plain, streetclothes-wearing dudes.

• Arson Cuff
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

“basically an entirely different property” – exactly, it is, fits hand in hand with what I was saying.

• Posted June 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Sure, and that’s fine… but if they’re going to go the “almost an etirely different property” route… then why ruin it for people who enjoyed the source material and wanted to see a movie version? The filmmaker could have made this very same movie, with the concept of the loom and a lot of his other ideas, and made it an entirely original property. Call it “The Weavers” or something.

Why piss all over “Wanted?” If you don’t like “Wanted” enough to adapt it even somewhat accurately, then why trade on the name at all? It’s not as if it’s a known property with a lot of marketing cache. Indeed, somewhat ironically, the only people with whom the name “Wanted” had any cache are also the only people who will be disappointed with the inaccuracies!

The movie’s fine as a summer action flick. It is enjoyable. I’m not saying it’s a total disaster, in and of itself. If this movie were almost exactly the same, but were simply called something else… “The Weavers” or whatever… I would have a better attitude toward it.

It’s like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen… It’s bad enough that they changed several key aspects of the story when adapting it for the screen – but that’s forgiveable; we all understand that things often need to change in the transition from one medium to another. What’s bewildering is the choices they made, the changes they chose to make… the fan of the original is going to see tons of cool characters and ideas removed from the film… and nothing new & cool put into their place… and I just can’t understand why. I’d like to have been in the meetings where they decided “Yeah, let’s get rid of all of these supervillains, and let’s add this loom…”

Posted June 30, 2008 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

If you are disappointed now, just wait until you Watchmen comes out…

• Guildenstern
    Posted July 1, 2008 at 3:56 am | Permalink

Ugh. . . boy that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Mindless cgi violence and slow mo, but I guess you can’t expect much more from a movie where characters block bullets with other bullets.

I can only cry for Morgan Freeman’s career. Loom indeed…

• Posted July 1, 2008 at 7:56 am | Permalink

I know, right? Freeman, and even Jolie, seemed to really be slumming it with this picture.

• Rocky
    Posted July 2, 2008 at 8:02 am | Permalink

“Why piss all over “Wanted?” If you don’t like “Wanted” enough to adapt it even somewhat accurately, then why trade on the name at all?”

Well said.

That’s what I never understand about movies taken from comics. The story is written and the comics are your storyboard!

WTF? seems simple enough to me!

• Posted February 3, 2009 at 1:23 am | Permalink

• Posted February 3, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Honestly, I think Angelina Jolie is grossly overrated as an actress.

She was awesome in Cyborg 2, though ;)

• derek
    Posted May 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

rictus was in there as a name drop.
    the body they unload, gunsmith calls him rictus.

• Posted May 17, 2009 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that namedrop was like adding insult to injury, “Oh we’re not putting this cool character into the movie, so we’ll just refer to this dead body by his name – that’ll be fun for the fans.”

Ha! :P