Problematically Sexy Noir

ANOES posters by Matthew Peak

anoes1_poster_nancy

I failed to mention it on Splattercast #115, but I’ve always loved the poster art from the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. The posters from ANOES are easily my favorite movie posters ever. A bit about the artist, via Posterwire.com

The Nightmare on Elm Street movie poster features Freddy’s bladed glove fingers hovering over the bed of star Heather Langenkamp. The crisp and striking style of the illustration is reminiscent of legendary movie poster artist Bob Peak. This should come as no surprise since the Elm Street one-sheet was illustrated by his son, Matthew Joesph Peak. While the stylized skull face illustration bears little resemblance to Freddy Krueger himself, it is nonetheless creepy. Artist Matthew Peak went on to illustrate other posters in the Elm Street film series.

Here’s a small gallery of all of the posters, including Peak’s alternate version of the Freddy’s Dead poster.

anoes1_posteranoes2_posteranoes3_poster

anoes4_posteranoes5_posteranoes6_poster

• Posted January 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I had the first one framed until last month when I got trashed and fell against it and broke it.

• Posted January 28, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

It’s a lost art. Fuck designing with Computers.

• tina fontaine
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Did Jeff also fail to mention we have these posters of the first 4 movies surrounding the TV downstairs? Our 2-year-old is rather… unsettled around them.

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Yeah, I got posters 1-4 from Allposters.com during a recent sale they had. I’m a bit disappointed that the colors aren’t nearly as bright and vibrant as they are on the DVD cases I have that sport the same artwork – but then maybe those DVD covers had their color “tarted up” a bit from the original posters?

Either way, they’re pretty rad. That alternate art for Freddy’s Dead (part 6) is ten times better than the boring poster they went with as the primary art, which was just a plain-jane image of Freddy reaching toward the viewer. I guess it was to promote the 3D angle of that film.

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:24 am | Permalink
  • Posted January 29, 2009 at 6:03 am | Permalink

can we get married jackie?

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Only if I can have a puppy.

Posted January 29, 2009 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Sorry Frank, I got dibs on Jackie.

I’m gonna make an honest woman out of her :)

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

You guys are fucking creepy :)

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 11:56 am | Permalink

What is an honest woman?

Posted January 29, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

You’re gonna find out :)

• Codey
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

• Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

It’s cool, Codey. You can have Jo.

• Codey
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

You guys calm down before you have a nightmare on your street, like Will Smith.

• Posted January 30, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

As a married dude, let me just toss out there that it’s weird to hit on another dude’s wife.

Women are property, and it’s not cool to steal property.

• Posted January 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hey Jeff wanna make out

• Posted January 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I meant to say Tina.

• Posted January 30, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

yes you can have a puppy……