Quiet Riots in Noirvember

Transformers 2: The Disconnect

Ironhide facepalmA few of your pals here at Dead Lantern went to Transformers: Another Movie With A Colon-Subtitle and we’ve all agreed that it was pretty damned terrible. I’m sure we’ll talk about it when we record Splattercast #137 tonight.

When I went, the theater was nearly full and the crowd appeared to be digging the hell out of it. I clearly heard a young woman behind me remark, “That was so awesome!” as the credits began to roll. Today I read this article about the disconnect between the critics and the public on this particular film.

Critics “forget what the goal of the movie was. The goal of the movie is to entertain and have fun,” said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount, which is distributing “Transformers” for DreamWorks. “What the audience tells us is, `We couldn’t be more entertained and having more fun.’ They kind of roll their eyes at the critics and say, `You have no idea what you’re talking about.'”

I suppose that’s not too strange of an idea. The public just wants a little bread and circus, not everything has to be a soulful character study. Indeed, I myself eschew thick dramas more often than not. And even though I’m on the “this movie sucks” side, I listened to the A.V. Club review of the movie and I found those critics to be totally douchey (and don’t get me wrong, I usually like that site a lot).

I really, really hope we can talk about not liking Transformers 2 without sounding like snotty, condescending assholes. We’ll focus on just being assholes and leave the snot and condescension out of it.

• newty28
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Hahaha Thats Funny jeff, I’ve had The 2 disc Transformers 1 Set on my shelf since It came out.I got from columbia house when I joined up & have yet to even watch the movie.How Sad is That .

Posted June 29, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

This movie is a perfect example of what I was talking about concerning every big action movie always overdoing it on below retarded humor. Even my co-host Rab who was defending part one totally hated this mess.

• Fake Larry
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

I wish I owned a movie theater. Then I could start referring to people as “rubes”.

You’d be doing a great thing if you took that money you are definitely going to pay to see Transformers 3 and just send it to me right now instead. Y’know, so I can buy the theater.

Ell-oh-ell!

• Posted June 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I saw the movie. The plot is HORRIBLE! But!!! Really, look at the source material. The movies story could have easily been a multipart episode of the show. I mean, it wasn’t great, but it was leaps and bounds above the first movie. I was entertained almost the whole time. I don’t expect every summer action flick to be like Terminator 2 or Dark Knight; great plots with great action. Shit, some of the best action flicks have dull plots. The only thing that matters in a summer action movie, is the action. And Transformers 2 did that very well. Sure its not a master piece, but neither is the Transformers tv show from the 80s everyone loves so much.

• Stevie-poo
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

I hate the movie. And that’s not from a critic’s perspective, it’s from a fan of the source material. It’s all well and good if you’re entertained by this but people are missing the point about why fans of the cartoon should hate this. It’s because this is not a Transformers movie. It’s a movie that happens to have Transformers in it. And if you don’t know the difference you’re an asshole :D Just like the first time around we didn’t get a real Transformers movie, we got Sam and His Robot Buddies Part 2.

Also I defenitely saw this at a different theater than Jeff went to because after the movie was over and people were leaving the theater I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more complete silence in my life.

• Posted June 29, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

They clapped at the Paradiso here in memphis

• Sn4tcH
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

More like Sam and His Black Stereotypes. How many voices did Spongebob Squarepants do in this film? It was awful. I liked Transformers for being what those Paramount guys were talking about; it was just stupid entertainment.

This movie is garbage, made for the guy that sat next to me making moaning sounds every time Megan Fox appeared on the screen. I went with two friends, both not particularly “film” guys, heck they even liked Wolverine for the most part. Even they both said that it was bad.

And it wasn’t just bad, it was BORING. How can you put that many explosions in a movie and still be boring!? Michael Bay has made the perfect terrible film. Everything you can do wrong in an action film he accomplished. He made 2 characters that were MORE ANNOYING than JAR JAR BINKS! AND he made them racist… GOOD JOB!

No guys, this film is bad, and the lady who said it was awesome is clinically retarded. Anything you have to say about this film, as long as it’s insulting to it and its creators, is totally, completely, 100%, true.

• Posted June 30, 2009 at 4:19 am | Permalink

I agree with Steve, the people making these films don’t seem to understand we want a movie about the Transformers, not a movie about some dumb guy with Transformers guest starring in it.