Palace of Lies Part Two

Are Platinum Dunes remakes actually popular?

After all the slurpage of how great the new Elm Street is, it went nuclear in it’s 2nd weekend, dropping 72% of it’s business. If you know anything about box office numbers you know that’s a truly awful drop, even amongst horror films. But still, that isn’t as bad as PD’s Friday the 13th remake which dropped a mind numbing 80% during it’s 2nd week. Obviously, audiences sure aren’t warming to these films. Even the PD apologists have to look at these diminishing returns and question their “popularity” don’t they? I mean, maybe when people say these movies suck, it’s just not possible to hide behind the “non-hardcore horror fans love them” conventional wisdom. These films simply get people in the door the first weekend based on their names and then vanish into the night. Unlike something like Paranormal Activity, which actually connected with horror and non-horror fans and grossed over 100 million dollars over the course of months.

I’m about to head off to work, but I hope to write up a lengthier post on this topic, perhaps tonight. I’ll leave the question to you guys for now:

Is Platinum Dunes actually popular or do they just make a buck off of the name?

• Borp
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

As much as love some PD films i really do think that the succsess behind thier films is the name recognition. But the movies still give them a ton of money so i don’t think they really care There’s nothing wrong with that i don’t think.

• Prof. Bleak
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I’m very interested in reading more on your opinion of this issue. I believe the filmmakers, Platinum Dunes, don’t have any ill intentions with their remakes, but I don’t think they give the product the respect that would allow them to be more than one-weekend-wonders.

I think this is due to the moniker that most horror films have received as appealing to the lowest denominator of the movie going audience. Their mistake is not trying to elevate their product above these standards. If we look back at the horror films that have made a HUGE dent in the box-office, we will find films like THE RING and DAWN OF THE DEAD remakes that actually tried to improve upon the source material, and in doing so captured more than just the curious horror fan and bored teenager on their weekly trip to the theater.

It could be argued the two films I cited were already based on more mature and creative films than movies such as F13 and TCM, but I believe Platinum Dunes missed an opportunity by not coming at their remake of ANOES with a bit more maturity and creativity. (I’m going to post a longer bit about ANOES in the forums in a little while).

I have several non-horror fans that were interested in seeing ANOES, but after word-of-mouth (not mine) got out that the film was bland to awful, they lost any interest in seeing it at the theaters. Many of these same friends did take the journey to see THE RING and DAWN OF THE DEAD because they had received positive word of mouth. If I’m not mistaken, THE RING remake was a slow burn at the box office but managed to build its numbers through positive word of mouth and repeat viewings.

That brings me to another issue. I’ve seen it stated elsewhere that Platinum Dunes knew they didn’t have a good film on their hands and dumped it in theaters the week before the major summer releases began rolling into the market. This is the same thing they did with F13, and it reinforces that they aren’t taking their product more seriously. If they had produced a decent product, they could have released it at a different time and possibly captured the return audience that might have brought a few friends with them. I know there are a few people out there that liked ANOES, but I don’t know any of them that liked it enough to see it again in theaters.

Crap, I could talk about this forever. The treatment of the the horror genera as a second class citizen has always irked me. Not because it’s not true, but because there are very few filmmakers out there that try to elevate it above that status.

• Posted May 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I agree with PB totally. I too think that a lot of filmmakers see horror movies as easy to make: just throw in some blood and tits, right?

• Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

For me this was the worst of the recent horror remakes as it managed to be simultaneously boring and offensive. It’s treatment of child abuse was really insulting. The moment where the male lead gives nancy a crucifix did not go down well with an Irish audience. If you want to know why google the words “Ireland” and “paedophilia”. Plus the makeup made dressy look like eric stoltz in”mask”

• Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

For “dressy” read “freddy” damn iPhone spellchecker

Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

I try not to think too deep into this subject only because we all know they’re not going to stop trying to make a quick buck. It’s pretty obvious most of us here on the forums don’t really mind remakes. We all hope they turn out good, but for the most part we go into these with low expectations.

It would be nice to see a remake surpass the original material like Aja’s “The Hill Have Eyes” did for example (at least I think so!), but in my opinion that’s a pretty impossible task when taking on a genre classic like Halloween or ANOES. I could bring up the Dawn remake and repeat for the millionth time that I HATE that movie with a passion. I would go as far and use that movie (consider yourself lucky Rob!) as a perfect example of a remake of a film that you just can’t possible top.

If you ask me, I think it would be smarter for Platinum Dunes to take on the lesser known horror flicks and remake those. That way not only will they be remaking a more obscure film, but it would bring back interest to the original, and if the flick does decent at the box office, a sequel would probably be more successful if handled right (Rob’s Halloween did much better than the sequel did). It would also be easier to make the film with a more modern approach like House of Wax did (it wasn’t a good movie by any means but at least it was fun). I enjoyed “The Hitcher” remake and still think it’s one of the better PD remakes. That’s not saying much at all, but like I said this was a remake of a film that a casual horror movie goer had probably never seen before. The original is one of my fav films of it’s kind and I was just glad to see it remade on the big screen with a more visually pleasing take.

I don’t know what more can be said about PD. They obviously don’t give the originals the respect they deserve. We all know most of there remakes suck hard or are pretty forgettable, but the fact is no matter what classic they decide to remake we all know we’re most likely going to go and hand over our hard earned money just so we can step out of the theater 90 minutes later cursing at the heavens. But hey, maybe the next one will be good right? ;)

• Borp
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean that they don’t have sespect for the movies.

• mits777
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 6:49 am | Permalink

You gotta also remember that these horror movies make a lot of money back on dvd even if their ticket sales werent that great overall. I enjoy the remakes but I also agree they should try lesser known films and see what they can do with those.

• Borp
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Well they tried with the hitcher and that did not do well at the box office. Mits makes a great point, dvd sales is a sure money maker.

Also, i wrote “sespect”. I ment respect.

• Posted May 10, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Every Hollywood horror movie makes money. Hell, 90% of all Hollywood films make money. Studios don’t invest millions of dollars into creation and marketing unless they are damned sure they’ll get their investment back (whether it be theatrically, overseas, dvd sales, broadcast rights, etc.)

Posted May 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I remember when The Hitcher was released I had no idea it even got the remake treatment until I saw a billboard for it literally on the day it came out. I don’t remember trailers, commercials – nothing. Maybe that’s why that particular PD remake didn’t do so well?

@Borp I didn’t mean to sound so pussy-torn with the respect thing. I’m one of the people who always pay to go see these remakes on the big screen so I wouldn’t say I HATE PD. I just wish they actually tried harder to remake a film into there own. Like I said on the forums, I think ANOES could’ve been better if they actually built on that twist of Freddy being innocent. They should try giving a film something new but also be careful not to remake it into something ridiculous like the Black Christmas remake did *shivers*.